100 Free DMV Test Questions
- California Free DMV Test No. 1
- California Free DMV Test No. 2
- California Free DMV Test No. 3
- California Free DMV Test No. 4
100 Free DMV Test Questions are now added to our California driver permit practice exam. Before taking the real knowledge test at your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office, you should make sure you have learned the contents of the California Driver Handbook by taking several practice tests from a website you can trust.
For best results, you should start by reading the handbook before taking on the permit practice.
Verify Your Knowledge
Permit practice tests are a simple way of verifying that you master the information in the driver handbook. Questions and answers on tests are taken directly from the handbook, current or earlier DMV examinations. Studies show that using practice tests speeds up your learning and help you to retain the information. There is no doubt that practice tests like these are the best way to prepare for your real knowledge exam.
The four practice tests added here are all based on the California Driver Handbook for 2016 and real DMV examinations (for latest revision of the practice test questions – see below). The tests are licensed by Driversprep and 100% reliable. They may not be reproduced without permission (see our terms and conditions).
Read everything carefully before picking the one choice you think best answers the question. Good Luck!
Some Typical Questions from the California DMV Test
Question 1: Which of these statements is true about large trucks?
- A. They are not as maneuverable as passenger vehicles
- B. They don’t need more space to stop and start
- C. They don’t need more space for turns
ANSWER: A. Trucks and other large vehicles are not as maneuverable as passenger vehicles. They need more space when making turns and take longer to stop and pick up speed.
Question 2: What is a safety zone?
- A. An empty lane next to the freeway dividers
- B. A space set aside for pedestrians
- C. The median strip on a divided highway
ANSWER: B. A safety zone is marked by raised buttons or markers on the road and is set aside for pedestrians. You will most often see safety zones in areas where street cars or trolleys and vehicles share the roadway.
Question 3: When should a 3-year old less than 4 feet 9 inches tall be placed in a safety seat?
- A. Under all circumstances
- B. Only when driving on the freeway
- C. Only if the child is in the front seat
ANSWER: A. Children under 8 years old must be properly secured in a federally approved child passenger restraint system. Children who are 8 years old or older OR who have reached at least 4 feet 9 inches in height may use a properly secured safety belt meeting
Question 4: You are stopped at an intersection. The traffic light turns green. Can you go immediately?
- A. Yes, you now have the right-of-way
- B. Yes, other traffic or pedestrians must yield to you
- C. Yes, but you must yield to any vehicle or person still in the intersection
ANSWER: C. A green traffic signal light means GO after you yield to any vehicle, bicyclist, or pedestrian still in the intersection.
Question 5: Which of the following is true about double parking?
- A. It is allowed if you are making a delivery
- B. It is illegal under all circumstances
- C. It is illegal unless you wait in the vehicle
ANSWER: B. Never double park your vehicle. It is illegal.
Question 6: When you don’t see any other vehicles around. you:
- A. Only need to signal for a left or right turn
- B. Should still always use your turn signals
- C. Only need to signal when changing lanes
ANSWER: B. Always signal when turning left or right, changing lanes, slowing down, or stopping. Signaling lets other drivers, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians know your intentions.
Question 7: You may drive in a bike lane:
- A. During rush hour traffic if bicycles are not present
- B. Whenever bicyclists are not present
- C. No more than 200 feet before making a right turn
ANSWER: C. Only enter a bike lane no more than 200 feet before starting a turn.
Question 8: While all of the following are dangerous to do while driving, which is also against the law?
- A. Listening to music through a set of dual headphones
- B. Adjusting your outside mirrors
- C. Wearing dark sunglasses while driving at night
ANSWER: A. Do not wear a headset or earplugs in both ears while driving; it is against the law.
Question 9: You must make a full stop before you cross railroad tracks when:
- A. The crossing is located in a city or town with frequent train traffic
- B. There are no warning signals or gates at the crossing
- C. You don’t have room to completely cross the tracks
ANSWER: C. If you need to stop after crossing the tracks, wait until you can completely cross the tracks before proceeding. Make sure your vehicle clears the tracks before you stop. Never stop on tracks.
Question 10: The “Basic Speed Law” says you should:
- A. Keep your speed close to that of other traffic
- B. Always drive at the posted speed limit
- C. Never drive faster than is safe for current conditions
ANSWER: C. This law means that you may never drive faster than is safe for current conditions.
Photo of laptop – Karolina Grabowska, kaboompics
Questions licensed by driversprep.com
Revisions: DMV Practice test questions were revised March 28, 2018.